Sunday, November 14, 2010

hours and days .

The most important day I remember in all my life is the one on which my best friend, Anne Sullivan came to me. I am filled with wonder when I consider the immeasurable contrasts between the two lives which it connects. It was the twelfth November, 2004, the first month for me studying in State University of Buffalo, New York.

On the afternoon of that eventful day, I stood on the porch, dumb, expectant. I guessed vaguely from my roommate’s sign and from the hurrying to and fro in the house that something unusual was about to happen, so I went to the door and waited on the steps to come into the house. She is the new student and took the same course with me.
She still opts to stay in hostel even though her family live in this particular area.
She had become the place where I expressed my feeling, problems and longing towards my family in Malaysia. She had missed the orientation program but still doing her best in class.

On one fine day, my senior who came from Egypt, Syed Muhammad Aizat Faiz came over and sat on the chair in front of me. He just sat there for a couple of minutes and doing nothing. As I try to get up, he started the conversation. “Do you happen to know Anne Sullivan?”
“I surely do. As the matter of fact she’s my roommate. What is it about her?”
“Nothing, I was just asking. Would you mind if I become your friend?”
“I don’t mind at all.”
“It is great then. I’ll make a move first. See you tomorrow.”
I told Anne that there is a senior asking about her and she is getting excited and all. On the next morning we went to our classes as usual, the senior that I have mention before came and greet me but him never put his eyes on my friend, Anne. It really makes me wonder because he has been the one who asked about my friend. Then, we just make our move to our class. After finishing all of our class for that particular cold day, we were informed to have a meeting between seniors and juniors. We were discussing about the activities that our faculty would held on the open day. Faiz keeps discussing the matter with me and as usual he would not even give a dime of glance towards Anne.

As the day had arrived, we put all of our hearts and souls to pull the visitor’s attraction. It turned out as our booth had became the biggest hit for that day. There are a lot of activities to join and prizes to be given away. Once, I saw Anne and Faiz doing the same chores but I could see in Faiz’s eyes that he wanted to be away from my friend. There is a lot of guy visiting our booth just to get to know Anne who is one of the sexiest and prettiest students in our university but she did not really entertain them. After watching all over the place, I realized that Faiz is no longer at our booth and for the second time he left me wonder about him.

I do not see Faiz for the whole week and it once again got me puzzled about him – he practically love to leave me with that god dam condition. Anne was searching for him all over the places but it turned out as disappointing result. Anne is eager to hear from Faiz and waited for him for every single day.

Anne once told me that she kind of feeling ashamed and upset seeing Faiz’s reaction every time they got bumped with each other. I told her Faiz might feel ashamed to talk to her because she is always wearing sexy clothes as Anne knew that Faiz is a Muslim. On the next morning, Anne starts wearing way more appropriate clothing leaving behind those mini skirts and sleeveless shirt. It seems like Faiz is at his greatest shock as he saw Anne walking right in front him and it make Anne smiled at him.

For the first time Faiz greeted Anne and it resulted as Anne is feeling god dam excited. After a few days they started to make friends with each other but still focusing on their studies. Once I spent my lonesome hour at the city park. Then, Faiz and Anne came to me who had been staring at the frozen lagoon. There is always ducks swimming and all around in it in the springtime. I wonder where they go in this wintertime. Does somebody come around in a truck and take them away or do they fly away by themselves. “What bring you here?” Faiz asked me.
“I’m just having some walk here. I smell something fishy here. What you’re both are up to?”
“We do have something to discuss with you.”
“What is it? You both are getting married?”
“That definitely is the thing.”
“That is totally good thing and I’m totally agree with it”
“But first you have to keep Anne accompany for her to convert into Islam tomorrow morning.”
“It is not a big deal for me. I’m very happy for both of you.”
It is already four months since they had married. I really do miss them but I got a lot of assignments waiting to be done and I need to finish them on time to avoid from being flunked in my coming final examination. I do meet them in the campus but not as regular than before. On that fine evening they came for a sudden visit and I’m totally at the great shock when Anne told me that she had already got pregnant for 4 months. But, I could not really see her growing stomach since she is a slim as hell and it was her first baby. I feel like doing tap-dancing when Faiz told that it was twin and I eagerly asked them to take me as the babies’ adopt mother. Then Anne quickly opens her diary and writes my word. I also put my wish about the babies together with my signature.

I keep picturing how the babies will look like. Either they would have their father’s nose or their mother’s god dam gorgeous eyes. I also been wondering whether they will identical and all. All of sudden, while I was laying there day-dreaming, somebody knocked on the door. I kept hoping that it wasn’t my door they were knocking on but I just knew it was. Finally I got out of bed to see who is disturbing my night. It is a women wearing nurse-like clothing.” Do you happen to know two people by the name of Syed Aizat Faiz and Anne Abdullah?”
“Yes I certainly do. What is it about them?”
I could not anymore catch the words explained by the nurse as soon as she said the word ‘accident’. My eyes straightly burst into tears when the plump nurse told that they are no longer alive. I make a quick change and went to the hospital with the nurse.

After seeing their body, the nurse brought me to a room on the third floor. She carried two babies which more look like twin. They are twin? I asked the nurse whether they are the couple’s children and the nurse just keep nodding her head. Then I took the babies and decided to take them as my adopt children. Now it comes to a confusing part – naming the babies. I’m having a hard time just to find name for them but then I came out with Muhammad Izzat Syauki and Muhammad Izzat Syazlan. After going through all of the procedures, I finally am able to take the babies under my care.

It’s already been three years since Anne’s and Faiz’s missing and the kids are growing in a wealthy of health. I’m also graduating this year and I finally could settle down. I had made a decision to go back to Malaysia, the country where I belong to and once again I had to go through a procedure in order to convert my children’s nationality. It turned out be a well organized process and I’m very glad with that.

The day had come and I finally get my feet back on my precious country. All of my family members and friends came and greet my children and I when I arrived at the airport. Most of my friends seem to be shocked as they saw me as a single lady with twin holding at the very end of my hand and I had to explain everything to them. It took about an hour for them to understand and they all expressing their unbelief of my deed. On my way back home, my mother asked me about my future husband that is willing to marry me. I told her that I will never agree to marry if the person willing to accept me. I will only marry the person who is able to accept me and my children because they are my precious treasure. I resulted in keeping my mouth shut as my sleeping children started to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment